This summer I planted potatoes in six stacks of tires.
The hope was that in each stack the potatoes would grow to the top tire and start potatoes in the entire stack of tires instead of just below the surface of the top tire in the stack. I was giddy with excitement as I hoped for over fifty pounds of potatoes per stack!
I have dug through the first two stacks and removed maybe five pounds of potatoes in each one. I am crushed!
I did get potatoes in the top tire, but very few anywhere else. I am suspicious that the soil I used had too much clay in it. It packed down in the lower tires and it was almost impossible to dig without a shovel. I think the soil needs to be much more loose for this to work.
Next year less clay!