The flashing for the front part of our roof (and about 10 feet along each side) has been ordered. Through winter and early spring the rubber roofing has flapped around a bit and ripping was becoming a concern. We had to design our own flashing, since our roof is not standard. Chris also ordered the storm collar and boot for the rocket stove pip exiting the roof. We could not find them anywhere in Kamloops!
I’ve dug a trench in front of the house to put in the french drain (we did this around the perimeter of the building). We can no longer get the backhoe into this space and I was worried that with a few months of hot weather, the ground would be rock hard. Thankfully our cool wet spring made digging relatively easy. I’m down to the clay subsoil…now we will shoot levels and start sloping the trench to achieve 1/4″ per foot drop over 80 feet (about 20″ drop overall). We have the perforated pipe and filter cloth and gravel/stones abound on the property so no additional expense there.
Once this job is finished, we will hook up the septic outlets from the house to the septic tank, and then the overflows from the planters to the tank. Then we have to wait to move in to take down the nutshell and backfill to the front face (the nutshell is in the way).
We are starting to figure out a solution for the skylights. Our openings are 4’x4′ and we are trying to come up with a simple, manual opening system for the five skylights in the house. I think we have a bit of work there.
After that, I think we start on the kids’ rooms. We’ve decided to try to complete their room first, to give them some space there over summer and fall. Hopefully by winter we’ll have enough complete in the entire house to move in…we’ll see.