With life so busy I’ve been resorting to self-defeating lists. My Burkholder side LOVES lists and the Hatton side loves buying Christmas reindeer slippers. It’s a conundrum. Chris’ lists are all in his head and sometimes they overwhelm him. He likes to talk about the things putting pressure on us while I like to make a list of them, thinking that by itemizing them, it will somehow diminish their stress-inducing abilities.
I’m just looking around the table and I have two lists on the go and I know my daytimer has one in it too. (O.K. the daytimer may be the crux of the problem.) The compulsion to find a fresh sheet of paper and consolidate my lists is almost overwhelming.
But it’s really not about the details on the list. I have to remember what the priorities are and let the rest fall where they may.
I can’t help myself though. Here’s a list of my priorities.
- The kids’ education and our family’s health, mental and otherwise. This includes eating better (always at the top of the list), completely healing from my summer injuries, choosing a physical challenge to aim for in the next year (for all of us) and keeping the kids interested in life (and calling it school and education, as it should be).
- Juggling paid employment to accomplish #1.
- Contemplating paid employment and how it looks to us in the future. (This is where our work with Javan Bernakevitch is helping).
- Clearing the #*$*&* permit. We are so close!
- Getting the permaculture design in place and implementing it, including the greywater planters in the earthship. And, enjoying the process! Again, a nod to Javan!
- Making my way leisurely through a bottle of rum this holiday season. Friends may help!
- Once permit cleared, make list of priorities for finishing jobs on the inside of the earthship.
- Finish at least one bathroom.
- Final plaster of all inside walls. Colour!
- Make cob benches for living room and get rid of old couches
- all the rest of the jobs.
- 8. Finish building gasifier (o.k. this is Chris’ and he may put this up higher or lower, but I just remembered how many times this appears on my lists and it’s time to check it off!) Plus, he likes this stuff and I like him to like stuff, so it gets to appear on my list!
- 9. Hug my dad. I haven’t done that in a while. Maybe I can combine #5 with that.
- 10. Get a dog. We miss Josie but it may be time to get another friend.
- 11. Finish the re-design of the website. I forgot about this, but it is important to me (really!)…so it stays here.
- 12. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Lists are the small stuff. No more lists! Yeah, right!
- 13. Learn how to count!!!
- Do lists dominate your life?